Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Up in Flames

I heard something today that went something like, don't expect to feel happiness if you don't want to feel pain and it struck me, because so many times I find that I find ways to run from painful situations by trying to recapture happiness and end up double miserable in the process.
  
I have a friend Sarah, who for the most part is one of the more happy people I know. Sure she has her dark times, a time no darker than when she discovered that her eldest son had a tumor near his spine.  And what was Sarah's response to this news and the months after this through the surgery, chemo and various other trials.  She named the tumor Tribble and kept all her friends updated on the trials and Tribulations of Tribble's ongoing eviction.

How was she able to do this and whom she did she credit as the source of her strength? God her savior.  the one who promised "God causes all things to work together for good for those who love Him and who are called according to His purposes"  so no matter how dark Sarah chose to put her trust in this promise- I mean after all, God knew where she was coming from-- He too saw His Son go through tremendous pain.Today I saw a hospital mascot from Brazil who walked the halls of the burn unit. His name is Flamy


which caused me to write on Sarah's wall "imagine the endless possibilities for tasteless mascots and children's ailments" to which she responded Tribble the Tumor!!!I felt horrible drawing this. but I had to-- because even though a child with cancer it a heart wrenching thing-- the testimony such great faith in the face of such a tremendous trial is an encouraging one to me-- and maybe to someone else.


I wish there were no cancer, no pain or heartbreak-- but I am thankful for the example of my friend Sarah who reminds me that there will not always be pain,to look towards the hope that there will be eternal happiness in Him who is the Lover our our soul, and as dark as the trial is here in this plain, in eternity it will be dwarfed by the happiness to be found living with Him
"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
    and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor."


ISA 61
   



No comments:

Post a Comment